Visitors to Ruddington’s Country Park are being warned to take extra care after reports that a woman was bitten by an adder.
The alarm was raised by a Facebook post from Linda Shearman on Thursday which says: “At the beginning of this week a friend of mine got bitten by a snake on Rushcliffe Country Park in Nottingham. She ended up in intensive care, but is now recovering at home. The hospital administered anti-venom, and confirmed it was an adder bite. She has informed the park warden and asked me to share this on Facebook so people walking with their dogs, and/or children, can be aware. It was near to the dog off lead area in some long grass.” Linda also posted the photo (right) of the ankle injury sustained by her friend – who asked not to be named.
An article about the incident in the Nottingham Post says that the disabled victim was in her wheelchair retrieving a tennis ball for her dogs on Monday when she felt a sharp prick on her left leg – after something bit her. By Wednesday the swelling was so bad and the pain was so intense she visited an NHS walk-in centre. The 30 year-old ended up in A&E and then intensive care to receive the appropriate treatment and pain-killers.
Rushcliffe Borough Council, which runs the park, has moved to reassure visitors that adders are very rare in this part of England – in fact, this is the first reported sighting in the Borough for over 30 years – and these snakes are so timid it’s very unlucky to be attacked by one. Nevertheless the authority is taking advice on how to keep people and animals safe following the incident.
THE RSPCA advises: “The adder is Britain’s only venomous snake and the majority of bites occur when a snake is disturbed or deliberately antagonised. Death from adder bites is extremely rare in humans as the venom is not very potent – no one has died from adder bite in Britain for over 20 years – but bites are painful and can become more serious if left untreated.” However, it warns that pets are vulnerable, especially if bitten on the face.