This morning, at Ruddington’s War Memorial, hundreds of villagers gathered in the sunshine on the date and time exactly a century ago that the signing of the Armistice marked the official end of the First World War.
This Centenary was an especially poignant time to remember the sixty one servicemen from our own village, who fought for their country between 1914 and 1918, but who never returned home to their families.
Preceded by bell-ringing at St Peter’s Church, and a parade of flag-bearing local organisations including representatives from Ruddington Royal British Legion, the service began at 10:45am and included prayers, hymns and the laying of wreaths at the War Memorial. The Last Post was played at 11am and followed by the usual two minutes silence.
Before proceedings continued inside the church, Ruddington Parish Councillors David Hall and Jill Reedman unveiled a specially commissioned new bench – opposite the War Memorial “Roll of Honour” sign – to commemorate 100 years since the end of World War One.
It is included within our gallery of special images from today:
“WE WILL REMEMBER THEM…”